1. A friend never quits - John 13:1
It was just before the Passover Feast. Jesus knew that the time had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he now showed them the full extent of his love. (or, "he loved them to the end")
2. A friend serves - John 13:13-14
You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet.
3. A friend inspires us to be better than we were - John 13:15
I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.
4. A friend loves even his (her) enemies (and friends who act like enemies) - John 13:21
After he had said this, Jesus was troubled in spirit and testified, "I tell you the truth, one of you is going to betray me."
5. A friend loves, even when his (her) friends disappoint - and
6. A friend does not flatter - John 13:38
Then Jesus answered, "Will you really lay down your life for me? I tell you the truth, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times!"
7. A friend draws us closer to God - John 14:1
Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.
8. A friend understands his (her) friends' needs and either meets them him(her)self or sees that they are met - John 14:25-26
All this I have spoken while still with you. But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.
9. A friend expects the best even when (s)he knows (s)he won't get it - John 15:11-12
I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.
10. A friend knows who (s)he can open his (her) heart to - John 15:15
I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.
11. A friend prays for his (her) friends - John 17:1, 9
After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed:
12. A friend gives him(her)self - John 15:13
Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.